Thursday, April 5, 2012

A visit to Duke Gardens, and their plant sale



Last weekend, I made a trip to dear old Duke Gardens, to scope out what looked to be a great oppurtunity to sell my Reptire Wares. Lo, they had decided to prune the crafts from their plant sale....Such a shame!

However, the plant sale was very well attended, inspite of the rain, and afterwards I took a little stroll through the gardens to see what was new, as well as old.

One thing that is new is a beautiful structure, which seemed to be made of Redwood, as some of its curved timbers were hewn, rather than bent, so it must have been a massive tree...
I was mostly held together with pegs, a real pleasure to behold, and 'be held' in.


Another beautiful object that has been there for a while was this seed pod inspired form, called into being by the delicate and masterful hand of Durham's own Sculptor, Andrew Price. Andrew, an old Durham friend, has always opened his studio to me for occaisional visits, which I always relish, am I remember seeing this seed pod germinating in his studio. Eventually I helped him to instal it there in the gardens (I had forgotten this until I saw it! what a nice surprise!).


I saw lots of other good stuff at the gardens, but my camera ran out of juice, and I know there are lots of pictures out there of the gardens.

One other thing I did come away with from the plant sale was Duke Gardens very own cultivar of Japanese Plum Yew!

No comments:

Post a Comment